Isa Chandra is a vegan recipe creative genius. This recipe is from her book The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook. I feel very lucky to live in Omaha, Nebraska where her flagship restaurant, Modern Love resides. I’m not personally following a vegan diet, but I will RUN to ML anytime I can. They make plant based food taste better than you could ever dream!
I devoured this book, a gift from a dear friend. The layout is my favorite way to cook, seasonal. She takes it a step even further, and highlights holidays throughout the year. Holidays like Chinese New Year, Valentines Day, and Mother/Father’s Day. It’s a fun way to find celebratory food that’s seasonal – and easy to adapt a whole dinner party menu around the seasons.
Run to your favorite bookstore and add this book to your collection!!!
Seared Dragon Green Beans
Seared Dragon Green Beans with Almonds
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat a large nonstick pan (preferably cast iron) over medium-low heat. Add the almonds to the dry pan and let them toast until fragrant and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the almonds to a plate, wipe the pan with a towel (carefully, don’t burn yourself!), and return it to the stove.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and add 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil. When the coconut oil is melted, toss in the green beans and cook them, stirring occasionally, until they are seared in a few spots. They should still have a lot of snap to them and be fairly firm.
- Push the beans over to one side of the pan. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon coconut oil and immediately dump the minced garlic into the oil, letting it cook for 15 seconds or so but being careful not to let it burb. Now mix the garlic in with the beans to coat them.
- Add the sriracha, tamari, and salt. Turn off the heat and toss the beans to coat. Immediately transfer the beans to a serving plate and sprinkle with the sliced almonds to serve.
The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz Copywrite 2016
Check out our YouTube tutorial to watch us make this delightful treat!
Have you made this recipe? Where do you find your favorite vegan recipes?